Friday, May 29, 2009

I am Nuclear nervous...

Are you aware that 59 years ago, June 25, 1950, North Korea invaded South Korea? I wasn't.

I just got an e-mail newsletter from my FRA branch and as always it is headed off with a calendar of events. Amid the usual upcoming meetings and parades are notes of historic military anniversaries. Ordinarily I scan these dates and concentrate on the meeting dates, however this month this particular anniversary caught my eye and has since caused me anguish.
That little tidbit gave me a new perspective as I re-read some of the recent news articles about N.Korea testing missiles.
My oldest and I had a brief discussion about this before she left for school and we both agreed that surely everyone is VERY aware the ultimate devastation, physical and emotional, that any Nuclear action would cause. Certainly the scientists know this. Certainly they have made this transparently clear to their respective officials. Right? But the concern that nags at my conscience is this; we are all out there dangling Nuclear weapons at each other and threatening "comply, or else..."
I am reminded of what my dad told me pending the arrival of my first child, he said, "They will test you every step of the way"; which brings to mind the number one rule to parenting: Consistency. If you mean it, say 'no' and mean it. That means that you have to be prepared to follow through with the consequences, every time. They will test you every step of the way.
I am afraid that one of these countries might be stronger "parents" than anyone believes. And, N.Korea doesn't appear too concerned about our consistency.

"It is a laughable delusion for the United States to think that it can get us to kneel with sanctions," it said in an editorial. "We've been living under U.S. sanctions for decades, but have firmly safeguarded our ideology and system while moving our achievements forward. The U.S. sanctions policy toward North Korea is like striking a rock with a rotten egg."

Are you aware that "About 28,000 American troops are stationed across the South"?

No comments:

Post a Comment